Considering water-based inks over plastisol inks on your screen-printed garment?
If you want to consider water-based ink over plastisol for your screen-printed garments? Here are several reasons to choose water-based inks:
- Eco-Friendly and Sustainable: Water-based inks are more environmentally friendly than plastisol inks. They are free of harmful chemicals such as phthalates, PVC, and formaldehyde. Water-based inks are typically biodegradable, non-toxic, and have lower volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, reducing their impact on the environment.
- Soft and Breathable Prints: Water-based inks have a softer feel and superior breathability compared to plastisol inks. The ink soaks into the fabric fibers rather than sitting on top, resulting in a print that is more comfortable to wear, especially on lightweight and breathable garments like t-shirts.
- Vibrant Colors and High Detail: Water-based inks offer excellent color vibrancy and the ability to achieve intricate details. They are suitable for achieving a wide range of colors and gradients, allowing for more creative and visually appealing designs. Water-based inks are ideal for designs that require fine lines, halftones, or a watercolor-like effect.
- Better for Light-colored and Specialty Fabrics: Water-based inks are well-suited for printing on light-colored and specialty fabrics such as tri-blends, organic cotton, or performance fabrics. Plastisol inks, on the other hand, may result in a heavier feel and less breathability on these fabrics.
- Soft-hand and Vintage Aesthetic: Water-based inks provide a soft-hand feel and are commonly used for achieving a vintage or distressed look. They are preferred for designs that require a worn, retro appearance or a subtle, tonal effect.
- Durable and Wash-Fast: When properly cured and cared for, water-based prints can be highly durable and wash-fast. They can withstand regular washing and maintain their color vibrancy and integrity over time. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for curing and washing instructions to ensure optimal longevity.
- Preferred by Certain Markets: Some market segments or customers have a preference for water-based prints due to their eco-friendly nature, soft feel, and overall quality. Choosing water-based ink for screen-printed garments can help attract environmentally conscious consumers, appeal to niche markets, or align with sustainability-focused brand values.
While water-based inks offer numerous advantages, it’s essential to note that they require specific knowledge and expertise for proper application. Screen printers experienced in water-based printing techniques can ensure optimal results and help clients achieve their desired outcomes.
Ultimately, the choice between water-based and plastisol inks depends on the client’s specific needs, preferences, and target market. Considering the environmental benefits, soft feel, vibrant colors, and suitability for certain fabrics, water-based inks can be a compelling choice for clients seeking high-quality, sustainable, and visually appealing screen-printed garments.